Study phaseWO Bachelor 3, WO Pre-Master, WO Master, WO Afgestudeerd
Required languagesEnglish OR Dutch
FunctionEngineering, Medisch, Research & development, Wetenschap
Months3, 4, 5, 6, 6+
Place of workDeels op kantoor
We are looking for a student who is interested in working on an in-silico (computer) bio-optical model accompanying the development of our (new) non-invasive sensor. The sensor functions comparably to a photoplethysmography (PPG) sensor, and is hence configured to measure cardiac flow in a non-invasive manner.
Research advocates the use of an open-source Monte Carlo model to track photon scattering using a discrete absorption weighting scheme. There are already several publications elaborating the use and mechanisms of the mentioned methods in bio-optical applications to describe light transport within multi-layered tissue (e.g. skin). These models are, however, developed for private use, and not publicly available.
The student will be tasked with analyzing the existing methods as described above, and using gained knowledge to modify the existing open-source algorithms.
In PPG technology, a LED and a photodiode are used to measure changes in blood volume. These volume changes are the direct result of the heartbeat and the saturation level of the patient. Through these changes, the heart rate of the patient can be measured. In our newly designed sensor, we optimize this process by replacing some of the hardware which enables the removal of motion artefacts usually plaguing PPG measurements, thus improving the accuracy of heart-rate measurements. The approach is both novel and supported by research from the TU Delft.
- Student in Physics, Computer science, or comparable field.
- Proactive team player with good communication skills.
- A decent experience/affinity in Matlab/python is required, and knowledge of C# is a plus.
- An interest in biophysics/optics is strongly advised.
- Working at a MedTech startup with a young and professional yet fun team
- Lots of freedom to implement your ideas
- Be able to directly implement your (years of) accumulated knowledge to a real world application
- Opportunity to be hired after the internship or after your study
- Internship compensation €350 per monthApply